See photos and video of our church and our old bell!
The Coylton Bell
Hanging in our belfry tower at Coylton Parish Church is our bell, shown above - cast at the Whitechapel Bell Foundry in London in 1830.
Legend has it that it was originally meant for a larger Belgian church but when that order was cancelled it was acquired for Coylton. This would explain why it is so large, unusual for a Scottish countryside church, as well as why the bell was made two years before the present church building was built in 1832!
Until 2020, the bell was rung every Sunday as a call to worship, and used at special events such as weddings, funerals and at Christmas and New Year. Sadly due to excessive wear from its many years of service, our bell is currently disused.
It rang for the last time, shown in the recording below, on the 14th of May 2020 during the evening clap for carers, nearly a week after it rang to mark the 75th anniversary of VE Day. It is our hope that one day, God willing, it shall ring again!